Selling Avon Online on a Budget
For my most recent blog on this topic, check out Avon Selling Tips: Managing an Avon Business on a Tight Budget.
Creating any business can be tough, especially if you don’t have a lot of wiggle room financially to start off with. One of the many benefits of having an Avon business online is that it is very possible to start, manage and build a successful business without breaking the bank.
Being a newly single mom of 4 boys and recently finished my fight with Advanced Stage of Hodgkin’s Lymphoma, I had to be super strict with my budget. Below are some tips & tricks I’ve learned along the way on how to grow your Avon online business without spending a whole lot of money.
TIP #1: TRACK YOUR BUDGET
In order to stay on top of your budget you need to track it! How can you tell what is available to spend on your business expenses without some form of tracking system? Having a tracking system/ budget will help you see where your money is going in and out. Knowing this can help you see where to focus on increasing your earnings and know where you can cut expenses.
Plus, as a business owner, tracking your finances will have you prepared for tax time. Make sure to keep all of your receipts, track your traveling & make sure to update your inventory list the beginning of each year. It’s no fun scrambling to get everything together at the end of the year & you may end up hurting yourself in the end.
For more information about filing for taxes as a direct seller from the IRS, click here.
TIP: Make sure to keep your Avon money separate from your household funds. Create a separate bank account you can deposit your customer’s payments and Avon earnings into. This will help you to better monitor your budget & minimize spending outside your budget.
HOW TO TRACK YOUR BUDGET
If you are like me, thinking of tracking my business finances felt overwhelming. The thing is, it’s a lot simpler than you think. I created a spreadsheet that I update at the end of each campaign my income and expenses.
You too can create a spreadsheet easily on Word Excel or Google Sheets. You can also find all kinds of apps for your mobile devices on Apple App Store (iOS) & Google Play (Android). Choose a system that works best for you, whatever it may be, as long as you have a system in place.
I created my budget tracker based off of Avon’s Business Report. This has not been updated since 2013 and a lot has changed since then plus, I customized my tracker to best meets my business needs.
TIP #2: INVEST IN AVON BROCHURES
Avon brochures are a great investment to your business. Someone once told me to look at the brochure as my store. If I don’t “open” my business (have brochures to share) then how can I get new customers (grow) or get sales (profit)?
Prepping Brochures to Grow Your Online Business
You will receive a couple brochures automatically with your FREE Gift when you sign up to become an Avon representative. If you would like more to share, I highly recommend ordering more with your first AvonNow order (remember your first order is 40% earnings).
The first thing you will want to do when you receive your brochures is to label them. Make sure your name, contact info & your e-Store website is listed on the back of the brochure. Avon has an easy fill in format you can complete at the back of each brochure. If you can afford it, you can use labels or purchase a stamp to make this process easier. Note that these are not a necessity. Personally, I use labels because for me its worth the investment in minimizing the time it would take to write out my information. I use Avery labels that I purchase from Walmart. You can also utilize Avon Perks (found under “My Office” on your AvonNow account) branded templates that you can print at home or order through Avery.
TIP: If you do not have access to a printer, bring a stack of brochures with you where ever you go & when you have down time, like waiting at an appointment or during your lunch break at work, write down your info.
Ordering Brochures to Grow Your Online Business
First thing you want to make sure is to have enough brochures to hand out to not only customers who placed an order in the previous campaign, but also your other local customers and new customers you will come across. A few years ago some representatives would say that you should order at least 100 brochures each campaign to hand out. I know for me, when I first started out with my online Avon business, it was not plausible and I honestly didn’t see the point. I do agree that it is important to have brochures to hand out to new customers, but I believe in moderation. So what I still do to this day is set a goal each campaign on how many brochures I will hand out to potentially new customers. I order that number + the number of brochures I deliver to my local customers (I currently only deliver brochures to a few local customers who can order representative delivery orders, all other customers are directed to my online store).
Brochures come in packs of 10, so if your number ends up being an odd number, I suggest rounding up. It is always better to have more brochures then not enough.
Tip: If you do not have any customer orders, make sure to still purchase brochures so you are ready for upcoming campaigns. I have personally not done this, but I’ve heard if you call to order only brochures, you can ask for the shipping fee to be waived.
Using Brochures to Grow Your Online Business
When you are on a strict budget, you don’t want to waste money on brochures that are going to just sit in a box at home. You will receive brochures for 2 campaigns ahead so you will have plenty of time to get them ready and out there for people to order from them.
Here are some ideas on getting brochures out there:
- Ask your hair stylist & manicurist if you can leave a brochure or two in their waiting area.
- When you are parked anywhere, park as close to the door as you can & place brochures on the back window or windshield with a note stating FREE BROCHURES.
- Place a brochure in waiting rooms at your doctors or dentist offices.
- Keep brochures on you at all times. Bring up your business casually in conversations & you will have them handy to give to those who show interest.
TIP: Power of 3 is talking to 3 new people a day. If you do this at least 5 times a week. That is 15 new people a week that will learn about your online business. This is a great way of getting your name out there throughout your normal daily routine.
For more tips on what you can do with your brochures check out Avon Selling Tips: How to Utilize Avon Brochures.
TIP: If you realize that you do not have enough brochures, talk to your up line or other local Avon representatives to see if they have any brochures available to give you or for you to purchase. Many times, other representatives have extras that they can give to you for FREE or available for you to purchase at cost. DON’T BE AFRAID TO ASK FOR HELP!
TIP #3: USING SAMPLES
Samples are an inexpensive tool that you can use to grow your Avon business, even if you are primarily online. Using samples give people a chance to try Avon products before purchasing the full size product. For new customers or for those who have never used Avon products, this is a great way to show them the quality as well as give them a chance to see if it’s right for them. With certain products like skin care & makeup, many people have to be very careful on what they apply to their skin while others who may have a sensitivity to strong scents, will love to try fragrance samples. Giving customers a chance to see how a product(s) work for them personally for free, you will see your sales & customer base grow as well as have very happy, loyal customers.
Avon samples are not that expensive. What’s even better is that you can take advantage of sales. discounts and deals all the time in Avon’s What’s New. Many times you will find sample bundles at an incredible price. Taking advantage of these sample bundles allow you to save on a variety of samples of products that are most likely going to be that campaign’s hottest products.
Also… watch out for when a *NEW* skin care, makeup or fragrance product comes out in the Avon What’s New. A lot of times Avon offers deals like buy 2 get 1 FREE. Sharing samples of new products is a great way to introduce it to your customers.
Offering samples are a great ice breaker when you are talking to people about your business. What I love to do, especially around special holiday times, is to have sample packs in my purse so I can offer them to people I come across in my daily life. In that season’s decorative treat bag, I will add 2-3 samples and a simple, self-made flyer with a little mint. Some customers have put an outlet or savings flyer into the sample pack so customers can check out more products.
What will you do with these sample packs? You can hand them out to anyone you come across in your daily life. You can give it to the cashier that cashes you out at the grocery store or the waitress with your tip. Every year, I make holiday sample packs for the ladies that work at the convenience store where I get my coffee & they love them!
Sample packs are a cheap way to get your business info out there. Like with your brochures, make sure have your information on the samples and/or sample pack so they know how to order from you. If possible, when you hand them out, get their name & contact info so you can follow up. Life happens and people get busy so they may forget. By following up, you will not only be a little reminder to him/her but also, you can learn more about what they like and don’t like.
See how top Avon Representative Milagros Garcia creates her “Bombitas” (sample packs) & uses them for her business:
For more tips on how to use samples in your business, check out Avon Sample Tips for Representatives.
TIP #4: USING FULL SIZE PRODUCTS
As an Avon Representative, you will have opportunities to receive full size products for free or at a discounted price. As a new representative, depending on what FREE gift you choose, you will receive full size products when you sign up. In Avon What’s New, all representatives can take advantage of purchasing full size products at a discounted/ demo price. None of that really matters, though, if you don’t use them to your advantage.
TIP: Through out the year, some mentors offer their own incentive offers for their team representatives. Sometimes they will reward qualifying representatives with full size products, samples, business tools & other items that can help you run your business. Make sure to contact your upline and/or join their team Facebook page to learn more.
USING YOUR FREE GIFT FULL SIZE PRODUCTS
When you sign up to become an Avon representative, you will have the opportunity to choose from 3 FREE gifts. Each gift offers full size products. There are three ways you can use these full size products to your advantage:
- Use the Avon products yourself & become your own testimonial
- Use them to create samples or to have as demos for customers to try on the spot,
- Sell them & start earning money on the spot
Learn more about Avon’s FREE Gifts and how to utilize yours to start your Avon business at Sell Avon Online: Using Your FREE Avon Sign Up Gift.
USING FULL SIZE PRODUCTS FROM THE AVON WHAT’S NEW
One of the many benefits of being an Avon representative is being able to take advantage of the Avon What’s New. With the ability to purchase full size products at discounted/demo prices, you can use the above suggestions as well as:
- Create gift baskets/product bundles to sell to your customers,
- Have inventory to sell on the spot or when you work at an event such as a craft fair, open house or tag /yard sale.
- Give as gifts to your customers who place a high order as a way to say “THANK YOU”. (You can give a hand cream or Avon Senses Shower Gel– It does not have to be an expensive gift!)
- Do a raffle for qualifying orders to be entered for a chance to win a full size product(s).
TIP: Sometimes you may find product bundles available to purchase from the Avon What’s New. Usually these product bundles are at an incredible price which allows you to use the products for different things. It’s all about getting the most out of what you invest into your business.
Remember, you DO NOT NEED TO KEEP AN INVENTORY. Do not feel like you have to have a certain amount of full size products in order to earn money. It is an option you can do if you plan on doing events, home parties or have products available for on the spot sales or give away as gifts/prizes.
TIP #5: ADVERTISE EVERYWHERE YOU CAN
Advertising is a vital aspect of your Avon business. You want people to think of you when they think of Avon. If you don’t advertise and let people know, how are they going to make that connection?
When you are on a budget or you are just starting out, you may not be able to afford to pay for a lot of advertisement materials, if any. Don’t worry though. Avon offers a variety of flyers on AvonNow that you can print out and use. You also can find a wide variety of flyers & advertisement materials online and in Facebook groups from other representatives.
With an online business, the best way to advertise your business is online! With technology and social media these days, you can easily reach out to a wide variety of people for minimal cost if any at all. Personally, I haven’t spent any money on any online advertisement I have done through:
- Automated Emails: Everyone that subscribed their email through your online store, Avon will automatically send them email updates based on their preferences. What’s great about these emails is that the links within the email automatically link to YOUR online store. They can unsubscribe whenever they want. Check out Using Avon Web Office to Manage Your Online Business to learn how to set up your email center.
- Use Avon Social: Find a variety of posts, images, videos and more through Avon Social found on your AvonNow account. Be able to share products, special offers and more through your favorite social media platforms- Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest. You can even send text messages. What’s even great is when a customer clicks on the image, post, etc, he/she will be automatically linked to your online store.For more tips on advertising on social media, check out Grow Online Business with Facebook & Social Media and Pinterest Marketing Tips.
- Create a Business Facebook Page: You can create business page on Facebook where you can post sales & information about Avon products, updates on your business, create offers for customers to claim, & more. For more tips on advertising on Facebook, check out Grow Online Business with Facebook & Social Media.
- Create a Blog: A blog is a great way to share all kinds of helpful information not only about buying & selling Avon but also about you & what you are interested in. This gives customers a chance to get to know you, your business and Avon. With sites like WordPress & Blogger, you can create a blog for FREE. Check out Avon Selling Tips: Growing Avon Business Online with a Blog for tips on how to create a successful blog.
TIP: Minimize the amount of time you spend on sharing your business on your favorite social media accounts. Take advantage of scheduling posts through Avon Social. You can schedule posts up to 5 weeks ahead! Buffer is another online tool that you can use to schedule posts & videos to your social media accounts for FREE.
MORE WAYS TO ADVERTISE
This is where your creativity can come in handy & even if you don’t think you are creative, you can still accomplish many of my suggestions. Most important thing to remember when you are making your own advertisements is that there is some way to contact you, even if you just put your e-Store website down.
- Create flyers on your computer or handwritten (make sure it’s neat). You can create flyers to post on bulletin boards at stores & restaurants. You can even ask your local convenience store if you can post a flyer up (many tape flyers on their windows or doors). Check out my blog, Avon Flyers, for a variety of flyers you can use.
- Advertise on your car with window markers or window decals. You can get markers at your local dollar store in a variety of colors & write something simple like “Buy or Sell Avon at ….”. You can also create a window decal from your local print shop so where ever you drive you will be advertising your business!
- Make your own business cards. Use business card template on your word processor or find a template online with business card paper you can buy from an office store & make business cards for a fraction of the price. You can hand them to people you meet in your daily life or you can place them at your local realtors office and other businesses. You can also take advantage of Avery formats found in Avon Perks on AvonNow for a personalized business card.
TIP: Do a google search or go on Pinterest for ideas on marketing your business. Personalize it & make it your own so it fits you & your business. You’d be amazed on how many ideas you can find from other successful Avon Representatives and businesses.
TIP #6: CUSTOMER REFERRALS
Your customers can be a great avenue to look for new customers & recruits. Offering referral programs to your customers will benefit not only you but them as well. Referrals are a great way to help grow your business. People are more likely to purchase from a business that they referred to from someone they know.
On your FREE online store, Avon offers a Refer-a-Friend special offer. Customers can send a referral through email, Facebook or a link that offers FREE SHIPPING with their first order if it totals $25+. When a referral uses the referral link & places a $25+ online order, your customer will receive a 10% OFF coupon code that they can use on their next order.
Keep in Mind…
When you are running a business it is important to know that you will have to invest some money in your business. However, you do not have to spend a whole bunch of money when starting an Avon business. That is one of the many benefits of joining Avon as an Avon representative. Remember, when you are on a budget (or even if you are not), it’s all on where you spend your money & how you use what you have invested in.
You can earn a lot of money as an Avon Representative thanks to Avon’s no earnings cap. However, it is not going to just come out of nowhere. Just like any business, you need to put the work into it. So, stick with it & don’t stop believing in yourself & your business. The key to any successful Avon business is determination-
“IF THERE IS A WILL, THERE IS A WAY”.
TIP: Keep making goals for yourself no matter how small they are. When you know what you are working towards, you are able to focus more on what needs to get done. Once you’ve reached one goal, set another one. You are in control of your business & the success you can get from it.
HOW TO JOIN AVON
Receive a FREE gift when you sign up as a representative + receive brochures & all the online tools you will need to start & grow your very own Avon business.
How Can I Help You?
What You Can Do With Avon: Shop Avon Online Shop Avon Brochure Sell Avon Use Reference Code: jantunes Earn Free Avon Donate with Avon